In recent decades the number of students majoring in psychology has grown tremendously and throughout the world psychology frequently ranks among the top five most popular majors and in many colleges it has become the single most popular major.
According to the American Psychology Association, Job prospects are strong in the field of Psychology. It is estimated that employment for psychologists overall will grow by 19 percent between 2014 and 2024 which is much faster than the 7 percent average growth predicted for all other occupations. Jobs for clinical, counseling and school psychologists are expected to grow even faster with an expected 20 percent increase, while there is also a demand for non-health service subfields such as industrial/organizational (I/O) psychologists that is expected to grow by 19 percent. (U.S Bureau of labor statistics).
The Psychology programs at ANC Education and the curriculums have gained credibility and recognition with over a decade of extensive experience in the field of delivering high quality and industry related content administered through a panel of highly qualified professors and psychologists of international repute. ANC is proud to be the only private higher education institute that offers clinical psychology qualifications.
Students who are looking at Psychology as a career can start right after O/Ls with the U.S Undergraduate Psychology degree program and qualify to do Masters level in Clinical Psychology. The pathways offered at ANC enables students to qualify with a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology and immediately move on to gain a Master’s degree (MSc.) in Clinical & Health Psychology without having to travel overseas while saving up to 70% of the cost by completing the entire program in Sri Lanka.
Students will undertake supervised internships during both bachelors and masters level programs to gain hand-on-experience and experiential learning and a combination of theoretical, research, evaluation and investigation studies that links academics with real world situations which will open up numerous career opportunities in Sri Lanka and overseas.
The supervised internships provide the opportunity to apply theoretical knowledge in a clinical setting where faculty advisors work closely with students and provide feedback to help them identify opportunities for further growth. Students gain experience to reflect on what they have learned, and apply new knowledge and skills during the internship period. Past students have interned at a number of organizations including National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH, Angoda), Sahanaya, Ladies College Special Education Unit, Woman In Need, Mel Medura, Sri Lankan Red Cross, National Hospital are some of the places ANC Psychology students have had the opportunity for supervised internships.
Why Major in Psychology?
• A highly flexible, marketable, and useful liberal arts degree that prepares students for many careers: knowledge and skills that one will develop as a Psychology major apply to a variety of careers in healthcare, business, education, social work, etc.
• One of the most popular undergraduate majors, with over one million bachelor’s degrees conferred annually (National Center for Educational Statistics 2019)
• A graduate degree in psychology offers additional career opportunities (approximately 30,000 masters and about 7000 doctoral degrees in psychology are offered every year)
• An Opportunity to make a Difference: Psychologists, counselors, therapists, and community service workers can make a real difference in people’s lives by helping them overcome adversity, increase their well-being, and realize their full potential
Skills Developed as a Psychology Major
• Exposure to diverse perspectives: psychology students hone their critical thinking, problem solving, and analytical skills- valuable skills in today’s complex world
• Learn research methodology and statistical skills: this can ignite students’ interest in launching a prestigious career in research in a variety of settings such as academia, industry, government, social service agencies and nonprofits
• Interpersonal and intrapersonal skills: students develop skills to work with people and groups (They respect diversity) as well as to manage their emotions and behavior
• Communication and presentation skills: students write a great many papers based on empirical research and take courses that require discussion and debate.
The State University of New York (SUNY)
SUNY is the largest comprehensive university system in the United States. Their impact in New York State and across the globe begins with their 64 institutions, including research universities, academic medical centers, liberal arts colleges, community colleges and colleges of technology. More than 20 SUNY campuses have been ranked among the top colleges and universities in the nation by U.S. News & World Report (2019).
BSc in Psychology
Over 700 students have successfully graduated from ANC’s Psychology program over the past few years and ANC continues to provide the option of studying the entire degree program from SUNY Empire State College right here in Sri Lanka as an internal degree completion program. Students can now save over 70% of the total academic expenses by studying locally. It is also the only U.S Psychology degree program in the country that is offered by ANC.
Entry Criteria: O/L or A/L (London/ Local)
Duration: 3 years after O/L & 4 years after A/L
The University of West London (UWL)
The UWL is a top 50 UK university (Guardian University Guide 2019) and it is ranked No.4 in London overall and is the No.1 Modern university in London. UWL also boasts 98% employment or further study within six months of graduation- “HESA employment indicator 2018” & has received “Silver” Rating in the TEC frame work in 2017. UWL has over 150 years of excellence in teaching and professional education.
MSc in Clinical and Health Psychology
The MSc in Clinical and Health Psychology programme provides the academic pathway for a student to embark on a career in clinical or health psychology as the programme aims at providing theory and skills that are central to psychology in the areas of Clinical and health psychology. This qualification can be enhanced by following a PhD in Psychology, a Psy.D. or professional training (subject to the regulations of the specific country).
• Applicants with Bachelor’s Degrees in Psychology from recognized universities
• Candidates with related bachelor’s degrees from Sociology, Sciences or MBBS
Duration: 1 year
Lectures: Weekday evening and Weekends
• Biopsychosocial Issues in Health Psychology (20 credits)
• Advanced Psychopathology (20 credits)
• Advanced Research Methods 1 (20 credits)
• Practice and Professional Issues in Clinical & Health Psychology (20 credits)
• Clinical Assessment and Treatment Approaches (20 credits)
• Advanced Research methods 2 (20 credits)
• Supervised Research Project (60 credits
Assessment Methods: Assignments, Examinations, Individual and Group Assessments and Class Discussions
Dr Mojgan Shadbash, Academic Head of Psychology degree programs, is happy to have helped hundreds of ANC students embark on various careers in psychology. She also added, “The very fact that a number of ANC graduates have opted to complete their Master’s also at ANC could be traced to the high standards we have maintained in our degree programs.”
Nilushika Perera, an ANC alumna has a lot of nice things to say about her experience at ANC: “My stay at ANC was the best four years of my life… ANC’s faculty encouraged us to challenge existing concepts critically. We could apply all these international concepts to Sri Lanka and learn where the strengths and limitations were in fostering change. It was invaluable… ANC allowed us to launch our initiatives and take it forward to the best of our ability…”
We are proud to see our graduates launch rewarding careers even before graduation, and flourish in their careers in the corporate sector, public health sector, non-government and government establishments and travel the world making a different in the lives of many people in various countries and communities.
ANC Education has produced hundreds of psychology graduates through its collaboration with SUNY Empire State College and University of West London both top notch universities at the forefront of world class research in psychology.
At the heart of so many disciplines lie the desire to better understand who we are—as individuals, as societies, and as a species. Psychology delves right into the very depths of this yearning for knowledge and seeks answers to some of the major questions that we all share which have created immense possibilities and opportunities for students to explore diverse careers and embark on their career goals in Psychology as a profession.
For more information, visit us at, No.308 –310, R. A. De Mel Mawatha, Colombo 03 or for more information on BSc program contact us on 0773 957070 and MSc program contact us on 0777 449966 or visit www.ancedu.com and follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ancedu/ and “ANC_Education” on Instagram.