ANC School of Postgraduate Education is calling applications for its 19th intake in Sep 2018. The LLM Programmes offered by ANC Education has been delivered as internal degrees conducted on a mirror model with University of West London since the beginning in 2012.
Our 15 months LLM programmes in International Business and Commercial Law and in Intellectual Property Lawenables graduates to progress in to careers in a range of disciplines in local and international organizations, private practice and in academia.
University of West London (UWL) – School of Law and Criminology
University of West London which has been ranked as50th in the Guardian League table (2019)and in the 56th place in the Times Good University Guide (2018).
The School of Law and Criminology of the University of West London has a long standing reputation for legal education in London for offering LLB, LLM and PhD qualifications in UK. The school also enjoys close ties to the Middlesex Law Society (MLS) where new students can take partin the MLS Young Members Group and various communities in the Legal London.
The LLM programmes that are offered by UWL are the following:
• International Business and Commercial Law
• International Studies in Intellectual Property Law
Following a two semester model, each programme will have specialized modules. Each module will have 60 hours of lectures and other interactive activities.
In addition, lectures on Research Methodology with tutor support will lead to the development of a 15, 000 word dissertation.
The programmes are meant to be completed within 12months with lectures being held on Saturdayand Thursday Weekday evening. The LLM in International Business and Commercial Law is by far the most popular of the programmes.
Admission to the LLM programmes is essentially meant for those who have a LLB degree from a recognized university or who have been admitted to practice law in an acceptable jurisdiction.
Admission is also possible for those with appropriate academic or professional qualifications such as CIMA/ Charted and MBA where the course of studies had included relevant legal subjects and have acquired sufficient post-qualification working experience- these applicants will be screened on a case-by-case basis. Lectures will be conducted here by visiting UWL academics as well as by leading local academics.
With the renewed interest in foreign participation in joint ventures in several areas of the country’s economy, it has become more urgent than ever before for local lawyers and professionals to broaden their horizons.
The LLM Programmes of the University of West London provide a unique opportunity for Sri Lankan lawyers and professionals who deal with legal matters to gain an insight into many areas of the law of practical relevance to their work.
The programmes cover statutory, case law and regulatory developments not only in the United Kingdom and the European Union but also at the international level.
There are certain unique features about each of these post-graduate programmes, namely;
• Internal British degree conducted on a Mirror Model : The programmes lead to an “internal” LLM degreebeing awarded by UWL conducted on a mirror modelwithout the necessity to travel, live and study in London;
• Visiting faculty from UWL : Lectures are conducted jointly by academics of UWL who visit Sri Lanka each semester and by leading local academics;
• Dual supervision of the Dissertation: Each LLM programme involves a series of examinations and a 15, 000 word dissertation for which a local and a foreign supervisor will help guide the students;
• Diversified teaching methods :Besides lectures in the traditional form, simulation exercises are held to enable students to sharpen their forensic skills;
• Blackboard student portal: Students have access to UWL’s Virtual Learning Environment which provides each week’s power point slides of lectures, e-books and other materials. There is provision for on-line submission of assignments as well.
LLB graduates and Attorneys-at-Law have now got the opportunity of applying for customized student loans with our partner banks where the monthly commitment could start from Rs.15,000/= a month * Conditions apply.
The need for an international outlook for lawyers, accountants and other professionals cannot be gainsaid. Comparative law is a fascinating subject which is going through many changes all the time, responding to the changing nature of the international legal architecture.
These LL.M. programmes offer a window of opportunity to follow these developments and be part of the growing international community of comparative lawyers.
More information on LLM Programmes and the Next intake commencing in Sep 2018 can be obtained from 0777 44 99 66.