The University of Newcastle is a public research university in the north of England. The university’s history can be traced back to 1834 where a School of Medicine (later college of medicine) was established.
Newcastle University is a Red Brick university and a member of the Russell Group which is an association of prestigious research intensive UK universities. The university has one of the largest EU research portfolios in the UK. Newcastle attracts over 20,000 students from more than 120 countries.
Due to the growing demand for quality medical education in the Asian region and Malaysian Governments invitation and lookout for world leading Medical University to set up a university in Malaysia Newcastle university set up a fully-fledged Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia (NUMed) in Johor Malaysia.
The Programs of study are identical to Newcastle’s UK based provision, and lead to the award of the same degree conferred by Newcastle University UK. Students will obtain a reputable UK qualification, from an internationally recognized university, at a cost of significantly less than that of studying for the same degrees in UK.
NUMed offers undergraduate programs in Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degrees which were launched in 2009. NUMed also offers Biomedical Sciences (BSc Honors) degree. Newcastle Malaysia campus also offers Foundation program in Biological and Biomedical Sciences.
Quality and Reputation of Newcastle University
• The reputation and popularity of the University is backed up by the high-quality teaching and learning experience and the research opportunities available to students.
• Newcastle University UK is a modern university with a rich tradition of scholarship, a proud record of service and a truly global alumni network.
• Newcastle is a Russell Group University that consistently ranks in the top 20 in the UK for research power and student experience. It is the first UK University to establish a fully owned international branch campus for medicine and the biomedical sciences in Malaysia.
• The Quality Assurance of Basic Medical Education (QABME) framework makes sure that standards in new and existing undergraduate and postgraduate medical education and training are being monitored, maintained, developed and approved. It ensures that the outcomes in new doctors are being met. Implementation and monitoring of the process is by evidence-based visits and receipt of an annual report from each school.
• NUMed Malaysia’s MB BS also meets the UK’s Quality Assurance Agency’s (QAA) Code of Practice and is in alignment with QAA subject benchmarks. The last QAA review took place in 2016. The QAA commended our management of academic standards and quality of learning by giving us a ‘judgment of confidence’ – the highest rating available.
• Quality governance of the programme is also overseen by the Malaysian Medical Council (MMC) and the Malaysian Qualifications Agency.
• NUMed Malaysia is fully recognized by both the General Medical Council (GMC) and the MMC. NUMed Malaysia adopts the published guidance on UK medical education delivered outside the UK available on the General Medical Council website.
• Newcastle University is recognized by the Sri Lanka Medical Council (SLMC)
Five Star plus QS Ranking
Newcastle has become one of only 14 universities in the world to achieve five plus QS Stars from QS Quacquarelli Symonds, the first international assessment of its kind.
The Stars system rates universities against a number of performance indicators as set against pre-established international standards.
Newcastle University has been awarded five stars in the following areas:
• Student Employability
• Life Sciences and Medicine
Newcastle University Ranking
A testament to the quality is that in 2015, Newcastle University was confirmed as one of the leading universities for medicine in the world by the Leiden Ranking – a highly respected international ranking of research performance. It placed Faculty of Medical Sciences in the top 50 in the world for biomedical and health sciences.
Newcastle University is also Ranked among the best British Universities for Medicine by;
The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2015
The Guardian University Guide 2015
The Complete University Guide 2015
IMC Study Medicine Partnership with NUMed
International Medical Campus (IMC) the leading Medical Placement provider in Sri Lanka has partnered with NUMed to offer world recognized MBBS program to Sri Lankan students to achieve their dream of becoming a doctor.
IMC Has been leading the way in introducing new universities and pathway programs with world renowned medical universities in Europe, Asia, North America and Australia.
For more information and enrolments for Medical Study programs please call 0773 088 840 or IMC Kandy on 0777 230 033